IF YOU ARE CHANGING JOBS OR CAREERS, OR JUST THINKING ABOUT IT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Our goal is to offer useful, practical advice to those who are seeking new employment or those who are looking to make a change in their career.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

WRITING AN EFFECTIVE RESUME - IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM READERS LIKE YOU





I have written a number of posts about resumes, and how you can write a more effective resume. I also wrote about how a good resume can have a positive impact on the success of your search for a new job.

I have received a number of responses, from readers of my blog, to those posts and thought I would share a few of them with you.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone to my posts on the “Job Search & Career Guide” blog. I look forward to receiving more in the future.

Here are some of those notes from readers about writing an effective resume, that you might find useful:

Experience Experience Experience - nearly all that matters these days, and of course a format that is easy to read.

Before ever sending you're resume read it - I'm amazed the number of resumes I read that still have the most basic of grammatical errors in them. Laziness really, and my attitude is if the author cannot afford to correct it I cannot afford the time to read it.

Posted by F M


In my recruiting role, I prefer to see accomplishments rather than duties.
When describing duties, keep the words "managed" and "responsible for" to a minimum, especially if the job title was Manager.
Get to the meat at the beginnig of the line and resume because after 10 seconds it will be decided if your resume goes in the Hot or Cold pile.

Posted by U M


Position(s) you are qualified to fill.
Summary of Qualifications.
Areas of expertise.
Professional Experience
Educational background
Training and skills,
Affiliations

Posted by M M


I had my resume professionally rewritten a month ago. Amazingly, the writer did everything listed in this article. (http://careersearchmaven.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-resume-is-snapshot-of-you.html) If you haven't updated your resume format in years, as I hadn't done, and you don't feel comfortable rewriting it yourself, I recommend hiring someone to do the revision. I did and, according to this article, it was worth the cost.

Posted by S B


I worked with corporate HR Ops and met many recruiters in my lifetime.
1st they look at summary (don't be over creative)
2nd your work experience
Other sections are secondary. Education is a must, but awards, skills, etc is up to you.
Hope this helps.

Posted by S I


There are a number of ways to write a resume. There is no one right way, but hopefully these will provide more ideas for you to improve your resume and make it more effective in promoting you as the best candidate for the job.

If you have more ideas, I would like to hear them…just write me at career.journey.mgmt@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment