IF YOU ARE CHANGING JOBS OR CAREERS, OR JUST THINKING ABOUT IT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Our goal is to offer useful, practical advice to those who are seeking new employment or those who are looking to make a change in their career.

Monday, September 5, 2011

NETWORKING IS ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO START YOUR JOB SEARCH





I remember when I got laid off from a job I had for 10 years.  I was miserable.  It was like I was mourning the death of a friend.

Then I started to talk with all my friends, not only those at my company, but those I knew in college, at church, my family, and my neighbors.  They all had suggestions, many of which were very good.  I hooked up with an outplacement firm with the support of my company, and made even more contacts.

This is networking.  And this is how it helps you bear the unbearable.  Everyone knows someone who has lost a job.  Friends and associates can give you support, empathize, and help you meet other people, some of whom might know who's hiring.

And they might be hiring also!

So while you are making the contacts and following up on them, you have a sense of going forward.  A sense that with every new person you meet, or every conversation you have, you are getting closer to that job that you know you will get sooner or later.

So for comradery, empathy for your situation, support, and most of all, connections that can help you learn who would like to hire you...network.  If you keep records of who you meet, and when, you will find that it gives you a sense of accomplishment as well...even before you get the offer you want, that you know you are going to get.

In the next posts, I will discuss networking in detail and how it can be the most effective part of your job search strategy.  I will discuss how it will increase your contacts in your target industry (or industries), and how your network of friends and acquaintances can be one of the best resources of job leads and career ideas. 


I welcome your thoughts, comments and observations.  You can write me at career.journey.mgmt@gmail.com or post a comment below.




No comments:

Post a Comment