IF YOU ARE CHANGING JOBS OR CAREERS, OR JUST THINKING ABOUT IT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Our goal is to offer useful, practical advice to those who are seeking new employment or those who are looking to make a change in their career.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

NETWORKING LETTERS YOU CAN USE IN YOUR JOB SEARCH





Networking is an important and vital tool for a successful search for a new job or career change.  It is vital to tap the hidden job market and vital in finding employment in the industries or kind of position you are seeking.

Letters are the most effective way to make initial contact with those who will be helpful in your search for a new job or change in your career.  It is important that your networking letters introduce you and ask for the chance to discuss market trends or opportunities in an industry that interests you.  However, the function of a networking letter is not to ask for a job…it is to make a contact…to introduce yourself to new people, to experts and those who may be most helpful in your finding a new job or career.  It can also be a way to reconnect with colleagues from prior companies you worked for, and with contacts at companies with whom you have known during your career.

Following are 2 examples of networking letters: 

The first is one that you can use to introduce yourself to someone you have not met:

Mr. Neville Boardman
Vice President of Marketing
Heliotrope Chemical Company
378 Hightop Road
Silver River, Indiana  44000

Dear Mr. Boardman,

I was referred to you by Ms. Jocelyn Helmsberger from Mahtava Specialty Chemicals in Hunnicut, Vermont.  She mentioned you as a recognized authority on trends in the chemical industry, and chemical marketing.  She suggested that I contact you.

I am seeking an opportunity in the chemical industry, in which I can apply my 20 years experience in marketing and business development.  I have a record, in my career, of success in marketing positions of increasing responsibility with leading companies in the chemical industry.  In addition, at Bullock Specialty Chemicals, I have led the development of a new surfactant product line and its successful commercialization in the personal care market.

Mr. Boardman, I do not expect you to know of any opportunities. I would like a brief meeting to discuss the chemical industry as well as current and future trends. Your advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

In anticipation of having the opportunity to meet with you, I will call you the first part of the week to possibly arrange a convenient time to meet.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,


Robert Wasserman



The second is one that you can use to contact a former colleague or reintroduce yourself to industry contact from your past:

Mr. Troy Blair
Director of Marketing 
Surri Resins Company  
674 Harriman Industrial
Pine Village, Oregon 98000 

Dear Troy, 

You might recall that you and I worked to together at Kelvin Chemical Company between 1999 and 2005.  During that time you worked together to develop market opportunities for new products and technologies, and I remember being impressed with you market knowledge and management skills.

Since that time, I understand that your career has continued its growth and success, and that you are now the Director of Marketing at Suuri Resins. 

I appreciated the opportunity to work with you, and the value of your insights and suggestions, including the discussions we had about the professional and career opportunities both of us looked forward to at the time.

I also remember you telling me that you would always be happy to answer questions.  As a former colleague, I have kept up with your current contact information. I will call your secretary in a few days to arrange a meeting at your convenience. I look forward to meeting you again and gaining your insight for my career path. 

Sincerely, 

Mary Smith 


Choose that template that fits best with the contact you are making.
As always, if you have any questions, let me know at career.search.mgmt@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment